Hickory Nut Sandwiches & the HoBD discourse community

During slavery, one way "prominent" families showed off their wealth was to
serve hickory nut sandwiches.  It takes quite a long time to get enough of
the tiny nut fragments in the hard hickory shells to make even one sandwich;
to serve hickory nut sandwiches to a large party was to flaunt the wealth
you had in slaves to deploy in making them.

Even in indecent systems, some individuals are more decent than others.
Growing up privileged as white and male in apartheid Alabama, I noticed that
some families used another "N" word to refer to their domestic servants, not
"Nigras," the polite Suthun term used at our family dinner table.  I also
noticed that not every family followed our custom of never talking about
race issues at the dinner table when the servant was in the room.  Some
families I visited paid the servants no nevermind and denigrated black
people as if the servants weren't there, likely because for them the
servants and their feelings did not count, were of no importance.

Some participants -- even alternates and kibitzers -- in this discourse
community talk about lesbigays in leadership positions in the church as if
that's a theoretical question up for a decision, paying no nevermind, to the
fact that we already have two out gay bishops in this cyber room, that seven
of the 38 elected members of Executive Council are lesbigay, that dozens of
deputies are lesbigay, that many of us have lived in committed relationships
for decades.......

I am not for a moment suggesting censorship.  I'm a willing servant here,
not a master.  I am merely whispering from the servants' quarters to those
that have ears to hear that some folks be kinder than others, that some have
more class.

Please place your orders early for hickory nut sandwiches in Columbus.

Louie Crew, L1 Newark.  Member of Executive Council
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018.  973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages