Misuse of the term "homophobe"

I agree with you that most people misuse the word HOMOPHOBE.  I try
to restrict my use to situations where irrational fear is present.

Phobias are sad, but trouble those who have them more than they
trouble those of whom they are afraid.  My aunt had a phobia for
germs, and as children we could smell when she had arrived, because
she put rubbing alcohol on all doorknobs and plates.  We loved her
and felt that no amount of reasoning could dispel her fear.  Yet she
ate at all manner of restaurants with no concern at all.  We tried
never to suggest what she might find in the kitchen.

I do not know you and certainly would not consider you a homophobe
just because you disagree with me.

I rejoice that we serve in a church where you are free to vote
against me and I am free to run and be elected -- each of us trying
to live faithfully as we understand it.  May God have patience with
both of us, and may we serve God more than we serve our own
ideologies.

Joy to you and to all whom you serve.

LC
Louie Crew, Ph.D., D.D., D.D., D.H.L.
Member of Executive Council
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018-1222. 973-395-1068
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages