Re: [HoB/D] Outgoing Episcopal missionaries wrestle with Windsor Report

I am pleased that our missionaries are going out knowledgeable about
the Windsor Report.

Missionaries to China did not allow girls to attend our schools with bound
feet.  Missionaries to South India served mainly the Dalits.  It is
tremendously important for our missionaries throughout the world to be
sensitive to and concerned about lesbigays and all others marginalized in
the cultures where they will serve.

These are tense times for all missionaries, but of course that is not new.
Jesus calls us to be "wise as serpents, gentle as doves."  The Windsor Report
puts human sexuality, and specifically homosexuality, front and center as
part of the context in which all of us must exercise that discernment.

Lesbians and gays  have not asked to be at the center of this controversy,
any more than did the uncircumcised at the Council of Jerusalem; but that is
where we find ourselves, with a marvelous opportunity to proclaim the
ancient message as still News and still Good -- that God loves absolutely
everybody.

I am grateful to know, and not surprised to know, that almost always at
least one gay or lesbian person is among each group of missionary
candidates.  I well understand that they are not identified primarily by
their sexual orientation.  Indeed, I would hope that no lesbian and gay
Christians are identified primarily by our sexual orientation.  Those
whom we serve, not ourselves, are at the center of our ministry.

By the same token, we all need to be careful not to pressure lesbians and
gays to violate their wholeness by keeping quiet about who they are.  It is
as who we are, not masquerading as someone else, that each of us has been
redeemed.  The pressure on all disciples of Jesus should be to bear witness
to this amazing grace.

Lesbian and gay missionaries sometimes discover our "family" in delayed
epiphanies, as Esther did when Mordecai turned up.   It is important to
discern how to live with that revelation of "family" responsibly -- not for
personal protection, but for the good of all.

Lesbians and gays can offer much help to missionary colleagues as all seek
to minister to and WITH the marginalized.   Lesbians and gays are fiercely
marginalized in most places where missionaries will serve.

[author of the resolution that created the Young Adult Service Corps]