Re: [HoB/D] The Pope and Gay Marriage

For years Ernest and I (especially Ernest) felt that straights had made a
mess of 'marriage' and we wanted no part of it.  We used whatever terms
seemed to serve us best.  In public for a long time referred to each other
as 'lovers' and thought 'partner' sounded to business specific.  In time we
have come to use "life partner" in most public references.   Privately each
almost always wrote the other as "Dear Husband" or "Dear Spouse" and signed
with his Christian name, or reversed to use the Christian name in the
salutation and sign as "Husband" or "spouse."   We had no intention of
trying to appear like heterosexuals.  We were naming the bonds of affection
and commitment that we treasure.

Even going into GC 2003 I had only an intellectual and strategic, not a
personal, investment in C051 (Blessings).    We had been "married" (our
term, but again, not equating in our minds to "marriage" or even a "marriage
look-alike") for almost 30 years at that time (it will be 31 years in 18
more days).  It would have seemed silly to give any suggestion that we were
waiting in line to get started.

But along came secular decisions in Massachusetts, Vermont, and most
especially, in our own state of New Jersey.   I have already written about
our going to register our domestic partnership (archived as "Living in Sin"
at http://www.andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/natter/msg00078.html).

I now believe that it is silly to differentiate lbgts unions and unions of
heterosexuals.  "Marriage" is already extremely varied in its heterosexual
manifestations, and treating lbgts monogamous life commitments as "Marriage"
would be a lot more traditional and less complicated than many varieties of
"marriage" that now legally exist for heterosexuals.

The Church has a lot to say to any couple, straight or lbgt, about
commitments that all Christians should make in marriage.  We will say that
much more clearly and cogently to all if we don't get distracted by the nice
distinctions of the plumbing.

The state should be saying the same thing to all couples, straight and lbgt,
about legal responsibilities and privileges of that couples accrue in
marrying.

It's important to remember that 'marry' itself is a metaphor -- the same
thing that a carpenter does when he glues together to planks.   We don't
want to literalize that metaphor.   It's utility is in pointing us to the
'joining'; the institution itself cannot effect in marriage, the joining;
only the couple can; and we're wise to recommit to it every day of our
lives.

L.