A profound reinterpretation of what is considered sinful

XXXXXXX XXXX wrote:

> Let's not try to cover over the major shift that has happened by
> draping the decision in the hallowed haze of "honesty."  Honest it
> may be, and that is much to be desired, but the difference between
> then and now is a profound reinterpretation of what is considered
> sinful, and in need of repentance and transformation, and that which
> is not.

You are right, XXXXXXXX.  The shift the Episcopal Church made in
Minneapolis was huge, and I pray, righteous.  It is indeed a shift in
what the Episcopal Church considers sinful and in need of repentance
and transformation.

For decades lesbigays have experienced this major shift in our own
being -- surprised by how much God loves us, overjoyed by how much God
blesses us in and through our commitments to our partners and to the
lesbigay community.

I surely was not brought up to think this might be so.  I thought I
would have to become straight to experience God's blessing, and I
desperately tried to do that until I became 28 and finally accepted,
scornfully, that the 'phase' would not pass. "I am damaged goods," I
thought.

Eight years later I understood how much more God loves me, when
Ernest loved me.  "It can't be so?" I thought to myself.  But it was.
I was discovering my wholeness for the first time, and it was amazing.

"Son," my father told me several months into my relationship with
Ernest, "I have always loved you, in ways that you will not know
because you will not be a father.  Yet something about you always
seemed incomplete.  I could never quite name it.  And I surely don't
understand how a son of mine can be -- forgive me, I am a product of
my own generation -- in an equal relationship with a black man.  But
clearly you are, and when you go home tomorrow, you have to tell him
that though I have not yet been willing to meet him, I have to love
him, because he has given my son back to me, whole."

Six years later Dad called, "I'd like to speak to my son, please."

Both sets of parents frequently mistook our answering voice.

"Dad, this is your son."

"No, Louie, I'd like to speak to my other son."

Dad apologized to Ernest for not having been Christian toward him.
He and Mother invited him to come with me to spend the weekend.
While we were there, they invited all their closer circles of friends
to drop by to meet him over the three days.

Dad was just a man, a sinner of God's own redeeming.  My heavenly
father says to each and every one of us:  "You are the child I made.
I love you very much! I want you to be whole."

Fortified by the experience of God's profound love lesbians and gays
continue to be willing to witness lovingly and patiently to those who
consider our relationships sinful and call us into repentance and
transformation.

Thank you for the kind ways you keep the watch you keep.  Pray that I
will make my witness just as faithfully.  May we treat each other so
kindly that those who observe us will see not the conflict but the
faces of God loving them.

L.

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018 973-395-1068
101 Reasons to be an Episcopalian: Now in second printing.
http://www.morehousegroup.com/booksmusicItemView.asp?bookID=12080