In Christ There Is No East Nor West!

Re: [ENS] Chaplain resigns after column supporting Robinson's election

> Chaplain resigns after column supporting Robinson's election
>
> by Jan Nunley
>
> [Episcopal News Service] An Episcopal chaplain who wrote a column
> for a Georgia private school's newspaper supporting the election of
> Canon Gene Robinson, an openly gay man in a committed relationship,
> as bishop coadjutor of New Hampshire has resigned under pressure
> from the school's administration.
>
> The Rev. John Merchant was chaplain of Darlington School, a
> non-denominational private Christian preparatory school in Rome,
> Georgia. He took the position this summer and resigned effective
> October 10....

Bless Father John's heart.  Darlingtonians will learn to bless his
name for teaching them that some things are more important than job
security.  May his numbers increase.

I taught English and Bible at Darlington from 1959-1962.  I turned 23
in 1959.  Segregation was still in full force.

I was an Alabama native and had begun to deal with my racism only at
the intellectual level.  The KKK frequently had hospitality booths on
the road that led from Rome out to the campus.  Dr. White, the
President of the School, gave an annual speech to the lads about the
importance of segregation.

On October 29th, 1961 -- 42 years ago on the day the ENS report --
Bishop Randy Claiborne confirmed me at St.  Peter's in Rome.  How
ironic that two days before the ENS report, one of my students at that
time reconnected for the first time: