Re: [LS] honoring scripture...

    For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light,
        and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,
        to preserve you from the wife of another,
        from the smooth tongue of the adulteress.
    Do not desire her beauty in your heart,
        and do not let her capture you with her eyelashes;
        for a prostitute's fee is only a loaf of bread,
        but the wife of another stalks a man's very life.

                Proverbs 6:23-26

A Buddhist student in my Bible as Literature course several years ago
used this in her splendid paper on sexism in Proverbs.  A fellow
sitting next to her before class said, upon her showing him this
passage, "Doc, I just got out of the navy and I know the price of
prostitutes in many ports of the world, and it is never as cheap as a
loaf of bread.  When men controlled the world, they controlled it
absolutely, didn't they, even to the price a prostitute might hope to
charge?!"

My students all felt that the Bible is saying here that if you get
horny you should hire a prostitute rather than risk an adulteress and
her husband's wrath.  My Buddhist stressed that here, as throughout
Proverbs, the 'fault' of sex is always put on the woman, here on the
"smooth tongue of the adulteress."  Several countries in Africa to this
day require females to wear long dresses on grounds that men cannot
be held responsible for sexual restraint if they are otherwise
tempted.

Good ole time religion.  I would love to hear a sermon on this text
sometime.