Re: A querry concerning same-sex blessings

> Dr. Crew,
>
> I have a question that has been bothering me somewhat about the implications
> of blessings of same sex unions.  ....
>
> As someone who believes that the church can and should bless same sex
> unions, and as someone who feels called to the priesthood, there is a
> practical implication that I would like to ask about.  Persons who seek such
> a blessing on their life should, as much as practicable, be held to the many
> of the same standards as those who can currently be married in the church,
> such as counseling requirements.  This would also include (in my mind) that
> the persons would never have had another relationship blessed in any other
> church, or that a person who had such a blessing would be "divorced" (for
> want of a better term), and that the previous partner was cared for
> appropriately.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no registry that a
> priest could check to ensure that this was the case, especially if someone
> moved from, say, Newark to Kansas City....

Your concerns are important to all commitments:  in pre-marital
counseling, any good priest should (and I suppose most do) inquire
about the couple's history of any other relationships. However,
priests do not run checks on court records of previous marriages of
heterosexual candidates for marriage either.  The church could not
afford the expense, nor would it be consonant with the trust the
church is trying to model.

Furthermore, any previous partner would know where such records are
and could use them to document any on-going claims against an
offender.  The courts have long recognized 'palimony' for obligations
incurred in relationships that were not legal marriages, even in gay
relationships.

'Palimony' is even in my computer's spell-checker, as well as in the

Concise Oxford Dictionary, 8th Ed., Copyright 1991 Oxford Univ. Press:

"/palimony/ <<"p&lIm@nI>> n. esp. [US][Law] [colloq.] an allowance
made by one member of an unmarried couple to the other after
separation{new from NEWS, ACOD Feb88}."

I'm not a lawyer, so this is not a professional opinion.  I hope it is
helpful.

Thank you for your kind words.