Re: [HoB/D] sin (!) (?)

On Aug 19 8:44am ****** ****** wrote:

> Dear friends:
> About a year ago when all our debate engines were roaring into life, I wrote
> to this list something like: "It will all come down to whether or not
> homosexuality is considered a sin or not." And I think we are still at that
> point. The majority of those who voted at General Convention prayerfully
> decided that homosexuality is not a sin. Some still prayerfully believe it
> is a sin. This is the core dispute, not willful neglect of the tradition or
> the scripture, not a wish to leave the church or to hope others will (or
> will not) leave the church, not a desire to tear the fabric of Anglicanism.

XXXXX, thanks.

I suspect the issue is not just 'whether homosexuality is considered a
sin' but rather: 'Even if we think homosexuality is a sin, is it a sin
we are prepared to forgive?'

It's much easier to forgive ourselves than to forgive someone else,
especially when the other sins in a way in which we are not even
tempted.  That's why Jesus warned about being concerned with the mote
in our neighbor's eye rather than the beam in our own.

We put our souls at risk if we don't mean business when daily we
instruct God to use the same standard in forgiving us that we use in
forgiving others. Heterosexuals who are not prepared to forgive
lesbians and gays have not yet understood that risk.

Those who claim that differences in ECUSA following General Convention
2003 are 'irreconcilable' egregiously underestimate the reconciling
love of God.

Daily I pray for the forgiveness of my sins, known and unknown.  I do
not know my nearly 30 year union with Ernest to be a sin, but I could
be wrong.  Those who disagree with me well might be right.  I am much
more certain about God than I am about my sins. God's property is
always to show mercy.  As far as the East is from the West, so far has
God put from me my sins -- those which I know about, and those which I
don't, including those about which I am mistaken.

That forgiveness is not something I have to deserve.  I could not even
if I tried.  The forgiveness has already happened.  It is over and
done with.  Thanks be to God!

There is much good news in this for everyone, and especially for those
who would otherwise split apart the Communion because of ECUSA's
willingness to take a chance on God's promises.  Get over it:  God's
grace is sufficient for all our sins. God's grace is amazing still.

It is not about how good we are, but rather about how good God is!  It
is not ourselves whom we proclaim, but Jesus.

Some claim that General Convention abandoned the faith:  I believe
that we have taken it seriously.

Let us join together across all our divisions to tell that Good News
everywhere. Joy to absolutely everybody!

Lutibelle/Louie, L2 Newark, Member of Executive Council

   The quality of mercy is not strained; It droppeth as the gentle
   rain from heaven Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed- It
   blesseth him that gives, and him that takes.

                  -- Portia in _Merchant of Venice_