Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:35:45 -0500
From: Jennifer Peters <jpeters@episcopalarchives.org>
To: lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Subject: vote by orders for Episcopal elections

Louie:

Episcopal elections.

The Journals do not always index these elections as well as they could
have. Using the consecration files, however, I was able to narrow down
several bishops whose elections were confirmed at Convention between 1970
and 1997. Of those, only one, Bishop David Schofield, faced any kind of
debate before and during Convention.(The other controversial elections of
the past thirty years or so did not occur close enough to Convention to be
considered there). For Schofield in 1988, after consent was given by the
House of Bishops, the House of Deputies went into executive session for a
Special Order of Business to consider his consecration. A deputy requested
a vote by orders on behalf of the Dioceses of Rochester, New York, and El
Camino Real.  The vote was as follows:

Lay:
Yes -- 77
No -- 27
Divided -- 13

Clerical:
Yes -- 74
No -- 31
Divided -- 11

Further, the Diocese of Guatemala asked to be polled on the vote by orders.

Consent was given. Interestingly, following the vote, a motion was made to
suspend the Rules to express gratitude to the Committee on Consecration of
Bishops for the work they did on their report to the floor. This was
adopted by acclamation.

I hope this is of some help. Please let me know if you would like to see
the Journal minutes for the vote and I will gladly mail/fax it to you. And
and always let us know if we can be of any further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Peters
Archivist for Research and Public Service
The Archives of the Episcopal Church
P.O. Box 2247
Austin, TX  78768
Tel. (512) 472-6816