Requirements in a votes to consent

> I could probably check this and verify the facts (and, it may well
> be apocryphal), but I remember that the story ends with the fact
> that the 2/3's majority required of Standing Committee approval was
> earned by only one vote.

CONSENT TO THE ELECTION OF A BISHOP DOES *** NOT *** REQUIRE A 2/3rds
VOTE:

-----

Article II, Section 2, the Constitution of the Episcopal Church

No one shall be ordained and consecrated Bishop until the attainment
of thirty years of age; nor without the consent of a majority [sic] of
the Standing Committees of all the Dioceses, and the consent of a
majority [sic] of the Bishops of this Church exercising jurisdiction.
But if the election shall have taken place within three months next
before the meeting of the General Convention [as it has in NH, and
will also be true of 9 other elections], the consent of the House of
Deputies shall be required in place of that of a majority [sic] of the
Standing Committees.  No one shall be ordained and consecrated Bishop
by fewer than three Bishops."

	From Page 3 of the Constitution of the Episcopal Church, 2000.

---

I am disappointed the ENS misreported this requirement, feeding
misinformation to much of the public media.